- How to Say Goodbye – We got laid off; a 24-hour play-by-play
- Small Wins in the Rain – That one time I thought I was going to die from hypothermia
- Data-driven off a cliff – On how measurable ≠ important
- The pitfalls of automating your vacuum cleaner – I wrote this while thinking about automation after the demise of my robovac.
- What Kind of Scientist Are You? – An essay about my journey out of academia.
- The Ship and the Shovel – Many years ago, in a science journalism class, I read Italo Calvino and hated it so much that I wrote an essay full of dross about the need to write clearly.
- How Great a Separation – Reviewing The Gap, a comparative psychology book, published in Science magazine
About Everything Else
- Random Research – These are small projects that I’ve done for fun. They include settling arguments about whether you “eat” or “drink” soup, as well as whether eating oatmeal with pasta sauce is gross.
- F.R.I.S.K.I.E.S – My teammates Jeremy Watssman, Anyi Sun and I won ProtoHack in April 2017 with this pitch. Basically, robot cat assassins.